It's finally here!
We've had VBS this week, and I've been teaching the kindergarten class. We had a good class, and a good turnout for the week, with our biggest day being 304!
On Monday, I needed to start my observations of the 3rd grade summer school class at Cogburn Woods Elementary, so Erica filled in for me at VBS. Isn't she great? I like her. I think I'll keep her...
So I spent Monday from 7:15am until 2:oopm sitting and observing the first day of school. My plan is to do the same thing every day for the next two weeks. Then hopefully I'll have finished my 48 hours!
The church that is affiliated with the school I work at was also having their VBS this week. They called me Monday and needed me to drive the bus for their afternoon Camp Alpha sessions. On Tuesday, I took them to the Braves v. Marlins game, on Wednesday we went to the Georgia Aquarium, and on Thursday we went bowling at Stars & Strikes in Cumming. It was quite busy, as we would leave from our church, eat lunch in the truck, and then be gone until about 6-7 each evening. It was a lot of running, but I think the kids had a good time!
On the bee front, I was finally able to get out today after VBS and check the bees! In the ongoing saga of hive 1, I found the queen today. She was in the deep, and had several bees following her around. I was surprised to find that there were only a couple of cells with eggs in them, so I'm hoping she's just getting geared up for work! She looks like she has mated, so hopefully she'll get with it soon.
Hive 2 is still going gangbusters. I removed the queen excluder, as there are now two mediums full of almost capped honey on the deep! I've already removed one medium super from this hive earlier (see pictures below), and they have filled two mediums in about two weeks! And we're in the middle of a drought! The queen is a Kona queen from Hawai'i, so I'm very pleased with her daughters right now! I plan to pull the top super next week, and I'm going to leave the other super on for their own usage. I'm planning on putting a shallow super for cut comb on in place of the medium.
Hive 3 looked good. This is the hive I installed in mid April with a Cordovan queen. They are doing well, and have almost filled the medium super I put on a couple weeks ago. They seem to be working hard, but they aren't going anywhere near as hard as #2!
Well, that's all for now! Keep praying for rain! (I just heard thunder!!)
UPDATE! (Well, sort of...)
4 years ago